Today’s lunch took a little while, but it was totally worth the effort. 🙂 This is a recipe my aunt made for us the last time we got to visit her, and she allowed me to have a copy of it.
3 Cups Italian Breadcrumbs
1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
2 Large Eggs
1 1/2 Tbsp of milk
Vegetable Oil (enough to cover the bottom of a frying pan)
Salt and Pepper
2 1/2 Jars of Pasta Sauce
8 oz Spaghetti
1 Medium Sized Eggplant
32 oz Italian Blend Cheese, shredded
1. Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch sized pieces. Salt each side of slices, lay on baking sheet, cover and let sit for an hour. This takes some of the natural bitterness out of the eggplant. It’s an optional step, but I think it’s worth it.
2. Rinse eggplant slices thoroughly; dry, set aside.
3. Mix 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour with a few dashes of salt and pepper; set aside. Mix 3 cups Italian breadcrumbs with a few dashes of salt and pepper; set aside
4. Beat eggs and milk together
5. Dredge slices of eggplant through flour mixture, then egg mixture, then breadcrumb mixture.
6. Heat oil in frying pan. It should be hot enough that water “dances” when flicked upon it (PS: be careful when doing this. You just need a drop of water to test it!)
7. Place battered eggplant slices in hot oil; fry for about two minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove from oil, set on a plate that has been covered in a paper towel, to allow oil to drain off the slices.
8. Spread about half of a jar of spaghetti sauce into the bottom of a jelly roll pan. Place fried eggplant slices on top of sauce.
9. Sprinkle half of the cheese on top of slices and sauce. Pour the rest of the jar of sauce on top of the slices, then put the rest of the cheese on top of that.
10. Bake for around 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Cheese should be browned and bubbly.
11. Cook pasta and the remaining pasta sauce.
12. When eggplant is done, place on top of a bed of spaghetti. Add desired amount of extra sauce.
This is a seriously awesome recipe. It tastes SOO GOOD! Don’t let those extra steps deter you from trying it. No meat is required to be added to the meal, and it’s very, very filling. It’s also very fattening, so be careful! 🙂 You can add a salad for some fresh veggies for a side. We have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch, too!